Making Room in Our Hearts
Romans 12:13 …pursue hospitality…
What is hospitality?
Φιλοξενία (philoxenia) = love for _____________________
How do we know hospitality is important to Jesus?
- Jesus taught that kindness to strangers is kindness to _______.
- Jesus requires ____________ in His church to be hospitable.
1 Timothy 3:2
- ______________ visit us as strangers from time to time.
Why is hospitality so hard to practice?
What does hospitality actually look like?
- Friendly _________________
- Kind ______________
- Thoughtful ________________
Personal Study Guide
- What was your primary take-away from the sermon on Sunday? How did the Lord challenge you to apply the truth that you heard?
Study the Word:
- Read Romans 12:9-21. These verses lay out the Christ-like characteristics that should mark the Christian community. How would you grade yourself and the Cityview community against these characteristics? What is God leading you to change in your life?
- Read Hebrews 13:1-2. This verse warns us against neglecting hospitality in the Christian life. Why do you think hospitality is a practice that is easy to neglect? How can we be sure that we don’t neglect hospitality?
- Which part of hospitality is most difficult for you: your attitudes, words, or actions? What change can you make this week in your attitudes, words, and actions to show hospitality to a stranger?
- Give a specific example of a time that someone made you feel welcomed and loved when you were a visitor. How did they do it? What can you learn from that experience for your own life?